Hi everyone, hope you all are doing well and enjoyed eid. But in this process did you get some time to reflect on the previous article? We discussed fear of abandonment and its types. Let us reflect on the cause of fear of abandonment.
The fear of abandonment is mainly due to being physically or emotionally abandoned in the past. For example
Top Causes of fear of Abandonment
A child who may have experienced parental neglect, death, or abandonment from a parent. Or may have experienced rejection from peers or faced prolonged illness of a loved one. Or a romantic partner may have left you suddenly or behaved in an untrustworthy manner. One or more than such events might have taken place in someone’s life. Such events can lead to a fear of abandonment.
Long-term effects of fear of abandonment
- difficult relationships with peers and romantic partners
- low self-esteem
- trust issues
- anger issues
- mood swings
- fear of intimacy
- anxiety disorders
- panic disorders
Examples of fear of abandonment
People who have fear of abandonment don’t allow themselves to get close. They may think, “No attachment, no abandonment.”
- They obsessively worry about their faults and what others may think of them
- They are the ultimate people pleaser. They don’t want to take any chances that someone won’t like them enough to stick around
- They feel crushed when someone offers a bit of criticism or gets upset with them in any way.
- They overreact when you feel criticized or insulted
- They feel they are not good enough
- They break up with a romantic partner so they can’t break up with
- They get clingy even when the other person asks for space.They often feel jealous, suspicious, or critical of their partner.
Exercises to heal the fear of abandonment
Once you recognize your fear of abandonment, there are some things you can do to begin healing.
- Write down all the positive qualities you have.
- Write down the efforts you did and do that make you are good partner, friend, son/daughter.
- Talk to your partner or concerned person about your fear of abandonment and how it came to be.
- Explain where you’re coming from, but don’t make your fear of abandonment something for them to fix. Don’t expect more of them than is reasonable.
- Work on maintaining friendships and building your support network. Strong friendships can boost your self-worth and sense of belonging.
- Seek Professional help
Hope these steps help you. Moreover, it would be great if you can listen to daily self-love and compassion mediation. As a healthy reminder to yourself. Until next time, love yourself, spread love.